Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 76

Thread: DVD Burning Fully Operational

  1. #41
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Matt wrote:

    "The hyperflatulating modulation generator, oscillates at the bi-polar frequency setting that enables it to create a dual-tension vortex, which when in-phase with the trans-Tesla Coil glass bio-buss, creates a quad-sector phase loop, resulting in a glass master, which is phase-coherent to the duplicating machine, provided it has a 128-bit bus, which as you probably know, is 64-bits oversampled, which, if you perform 3 logical shift right's, will leave you with another 64 bits of digital headroom, thereby enabling the oscillating hyperflatulating modulation generator to create a feedback loop, which in turn, assures proper latency in the DVD copies made from the master."

    Ahhhh. Well that certainly explains things.

    Seriously, I am trying to find out if CD's are merely "stamped" like records were. Again, I had read something a long time ago about mass duplication and "micro-stamping" and wanted to know if there was any reason this same process couldn't be used for mass duplication of DVDs. The term "glass master" only gives a name to the beast. It doesn't tell me how it works, though I'm almost positive the non-answer I'll get is "Very well." wink

    Roger

  2. #42
    Scott Nocella
    Guest Scott Nocella's Avatar

    Post

    Very nice info Trevor, I've tried to find a manufacturer that will sell a larger format of DVD than 4.7GN, but that's just not an option at this point. I've already had requests for large amounts of information to be cut. The only way for me to do this is to rent out a DLT(Digital Linear Tape)device and save the files to tape and then ship them off to the replicator where they can be burned to a "glass master" and then replicated. Good research.....I'm swamped and not able to keep up on everything at present moment....hence this beautiful board really helps all.

    Regards,

    Scott

    Hopefully everybody will fill better information wise and we can start doing some dvd work....whether for ourselves or just incoroporate it into our offerings as artists.

    ------------------

  3. #43
    Mercutio
    Guest Mercutio's Avatar

    Post

    Scott and all postees;

    I sometimes have trouble following the threads on the longer, more complex postings, but are you suggesting the possibility of us all chipping in our films and the requisite funds to have Scott do a DVD collection? If so, how about a compilation of the Mike Brantley Film Forum?
    Any member is eligible to submit a favorite film or two, preferably short. And present our Super 8 work. I suppose it could get complex with any rights, permission, distribution, but its something to think about, eh? Scott could probably give an cost estimate per filmmaker.

    Matt R.

    ------------------

  4. #44
    chas_ucla
    Guest chas_ucla's Avatar

    Post

    This idea is along the lines of what Alex-US and I were suggesting... on another thread. I think it's a great idea. A DVD comp of S-8 short films made exclusively by the Mike Brantley film forum!

    Maybe the first film on the comp can be your film of the chick's body...

    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by chas_ucla (edited September 07, 2001).]

  5. #45
    Mercutio
    Guest Mercutio's Avatar

    Post

    OK, Scott, I will take the plunge. What format do you want it in, and where do we send the tapes? I don't have any stills, or behind-the-scenes - just the film.

    ------------------

  6. #46
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mattias:
    > Yes, only 4.7 gigabytes.

    haha, it seems sarcasm doesn't always work well. i obviously (?) meant: using mpeg-2 compression, 4.7 gigabytes is *a lot*.

    /matt
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I understood what you meant, I'm saying 4.7 gigabytes may be a lot, but it is not enough.

    Do you have any idea how many gigabytes it would take to make a D-1 master from a 35mm movie, than put it on to harddrives uncompressed...

    I don't know the number, but I can guarantee that it would be over 50 gigabytes...

    So while going to MPEG allows for a huge savings in gigabytes, 4.7 is not nearly enough.

    -Alex

    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by Alex (edited September 07, 2001).]

  7. #47
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mattias:
    > Yes it's called compression, but in fact with DVD it is even more than that, designers can actually dictate what parts of the "blue-sky" to repeat over and over to fit even longer movies on DVD.

    do you have *any* idea how funny you are? you made my day, and yesterday. thank you.

    /matt
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


    huh?

    This is the secret sauce to DVD manufacturing. The DVD Designer can choose how much memory to allocate to individual frames.

    If they "waste" too much memory on a simple shot of two actors with a blue-sky behind them...the action secquences may not come out right because they don't have enough memory to properly represent the dynamic motion that changes from frame to frame during action sequences.

    The way to not waste too much memory on a blue sky, is to keep taking the info from the same file over and over, rather than repeating "old" information as new, and wasting valuable memory.

    What's so funny?

    -Alex

    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by Alex (edited September 08, 2001).]

  8. #48
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MovieStuff:
    Man!

    What does it take to get a straight answer around here?

    I asked a pretty straight forward question:

    "Is there a fundamental difference in the way DVDs are mass duplicated compared to CD mass duplication? Or is DVD mass duping more expensive simply because it's the newest flavor?"

    I got a lot of answers but no information. So, I asked it again in a different way:

    "I thought for mass production, they used a kind of high tech micro "stamping" process for CDs like the did for records. I thought that's what all the fuss was about when CDs came out and they were (and still are) more expensive than audio cassettes but cost much less to reproduce. I was under the impression that the same would hold true for DVDs. Am I just out of my mind? I would have sworn that I read something about replication of CDs that mentioned stamping. Anyone out there fill in the blanks for me? And, if true for CDs,then why would mass duplication of DVDs be different?"

    And, again, much "techno-talk" but no real answers. I'm not interested in the name of the technology, whether it's a glass master or an ass-master or what it CAN'T do. I just want to know how DVD's are mass dulpicated and not how Scott has to duplicate them.

    Sheesh. A guy could die of old age around here before anyone will say the words,"I don't know." ;

    Roger
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    For the record, this is a very minor subtext to the topic at hand.

    Your ridiculing really isn't needed.

    Who cares how cheap it is to make a DVD if the glass master to make the DVD's from costs thousands of dollars.

    The main thrust of this discussion has been either you make them one at a time, or you spend big bucks and have a thousand made.

    I've heard the cost per DVD is under a dollar once you make the glass master.

    -Alex


    ------------------

  9. #49
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt Pacini:
    [B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Alex:
    "I think the answer was up above, Big Duplication houses use glass masters to make
    DVD's very quickly ( a few seconds???)....
    ....but only after having spent thousands of dollars on the initial DVD Glass Master."

    (Matt Pacini responds):
    Alex, that still in no way answers Roger's question! That just says they do it differently than Scott, which I think everyone probably would have guessed by now.

    Roger, I'll answer your question (staying in true form of this thread):

    The hyperflatulating modulation generator, oscillates at the bi-polar frequency setting that enables it to create a dual-tension vortex, which when in-phase with the trans-Tesla Coil glass bio-buss, creates a quad-sector phase loop, resulting in a glass master, which is phase-coherent to the duplicating machine, provided it has a 128-bit bus, which as you probably know, is 64-bits oversampled, which, if you perform 3 logical shift right's, will leave you with another 64 bits of digital headroom, thereby enabling the oscillating hyperflatulating modulation generator to create a feedback loop, which in turn, assures proper latency in the DVD copies made from the master.

    There, simple answer to your question!

    Matt Pacini
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Matt, you really should leave the room before farting.

    You know, just because Roger asks a minor question doesn't mean all the other points in this topic suddenly have no relevance...

    ...and frankly, it is a ridiculous reason to start denigrating this topic just because Roger feels avoided.

    Either you make DVD's one at a time, or you make em by the thousands...

    The point is, the independent filmmaker that wants to make 10, or 20, or 50 DVD's is shut out.


    -Alex



    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by Alex (edited September 07, 2001).]

  10. #50
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Alex, what you deem 'ridicule' is really just pretty accurate observational humor. I don't think there is a single person involved here that didn't realize that and got their itty bitty feelings hurt. We're all big boys, right?

    As such, no need for all the above smoke. If you know how the process works, then I am all ears. But don't smugly claim to have "already answered the question" by slinging the term "glass master" around like a dead cat and then get indignant because people notice the smell. There is more to the process than simply calling it a name.

    Also, "for the record" MY interests in the process don't have to be the same as YOURS or anyone elses for me to participate in this conversation. I can ask any question I like. I have yet to see a single thread stay "on-topic". So loosen up, big guy. You aren't the moderator of this forum, remember? But you are responsible for the accuracy of your answers and how people respond to them.

    Roger

    [This message has been edited by MovieStuff (edited September 07, 2001).]

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •